Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Be back soon...

Well girls...I've been a bit stupid...got what I thought was a virus on my computer (the big clunker upstairs that has all my photos on it...which I basically blog on)...lots of boxes blinking and flashing at me...a scan presenting '31 viruses detected'...so what do I do...I buy the security software to kill all the bugs....

Nobody told me that you don't buy software off the internet...all I could think was 'I'm going to lose my blog...some body's going to get my details...

The very authentic looking Windows XP Total Security 2011 that I purchased with my now cancelled debit card WAS THE VIRUS!!

So now I have no debit card...can't go shopping...and no proper blogging with photos till we get somebody in...cause of course this happened over a bank holiday didn't it!!

We also experienced something similar on my son's Macbook (which I'm using now)...apparently Mac isn't suppose to be able to be penetrated, however, the month of May has seen a spate of these invasions...so BEWARE. Luckily a quick trip to the 'Genius Desk' at the Apple shop fixed it...(a young man with his eyes shut fixed the problem in a second).

So I'm not only out £50 for the transaction (which I approved) for the fake software, but I have to have a tech weenie come in and install a firewall and fix the bugs...something he will also probably do with his eyes shut and will cost £100!!


Wishing I'm in Paris right now!

11 comments:

  1. How awful Robynne, you poor thing. Hope you get sorted soon and it doesn't cost you too much, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's awful! I know exactly which one you're talking about, it moves very quickly as if you can actually see the virus eating your computer! If you ever get it again just close the complete page, just completely X it out. I had a virus the other day that appeared at the bottom of my screen, on the task bar as if it was a Windows program. You can download Malwarebytes.org for free, it's really good at deleting trojans and malware...it got rid of mine at no cost! The one you have hides but a free program should delete it:) Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. I've had those things pop up before. I've had to tell the kids to always come and get me if that happens to them and never click on anything!!! We close everything down, then delete all the browsing history etc.. and re-boot the computer.

    At the moment I can't comment on any blog with my Google account. Apparently this is a 'known issue' on Blogger but I started to wonder if it was just my account that had been affected. Unfortunately we are not big companies with IT departments and have to either sort it out ourselves or call in the $$$$ computer guys.

    Hope you are back up and running soon.
    Kylie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bummer! Not only is it a hassle computer-wise, but getting bank cards replaced is a real pain the derriere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear Robynne, how frustrating for you.. hope everything is sorted soon, Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be too hard on yourself, I'm sure lots of others (including me) would have done the same. hope it all gets sorted pronto - it's so frustrating.
    PS Your comment about the snake gave me the shivers! I did keep the doors shut after I saw it on Sunday...and I'll be checking the beds for a while.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay calm and carry on - as the now famous poster says.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the same virus on my work computer, but we got it sorted out. luckily we have a computer genius in our work circle.

    Even if you approved the charge, since the whole thing was a scam your credit card should credit you. There are there for your protection, right? Give the company a call.

    What a mess, so sorry.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear Rob, that's awful! i can understand how you acted in haste when you thought you would lose your blog. Never mind...we live and LEARN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sooooo nearly fell for that same scam recently. You poor lovely, virusses (spelling?!) are just the most annoying thing in the world. Grrrrrr......

    Sarahxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've long felt it's the tech weenie that's coming to fix your computer that wrote the virus that brought down your computer to begin with. I didn't think the operating system of Macs were susceptible to viruses.

    Just wanted to thank you for your kind comments about my guest room. I'm trying to take risks and create something that's really different. It may not always work, but it's fun. Thank you for your open mindedness!

    ReplyDelete