Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Thatched Cottages

One of the most marvelous homes you will see in an English village
is the thatched cottage. 



Usually made of long straw or reeds a typical roof will last
25 to 50 years.


Some of the bigger villages have many fine examples
of thatched roof cottages...


Aren't these cute...they are like little hobbit houses



These white brick homes are quite striking with the dark beams
included into the structure.


A green door beckons on a plain white exterior...


whilst an interesting roof line frames a second floor window.


This is one of my favourite photos...of the only thatched roof cottage
in our village...looking amazing covered in a blanket of snow.


I had hopes of living in a cute thatched cottage when we moved here,
but have since learnt that they can be full of spiders...so that was the end of that!


LINKING UP WITH GOOD LIFE WEDNESDAY AT SARAH'S


13 comments:

  1. They are lovely! We left England when I was 8 but we did go and stay in a cottage when we still lived there. I don't remember it very well but my mom said it was so damp and humid that her bones were aching so we left early! Still nice to dream about one though:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was totally waning one till I read about spiders and dampness.....

    Still I think I would be quite happy in a hobbit house.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love looking at your photo's and being reminded. So sorry I didn't start my blog while there, as some of the houses in our village, both thatched and not, had the year they were built in displayed in the building. Could have done so much. Will have to snap away at the weatherboards as they are new to me. Rob x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It feels like a scene in Midsomer Murders and I am expecting Inspector Barnaby to walk into the shot :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob, pls send me your email address to outofours@gmail.com so I can reply to you personally. Thanks, Rob x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a picture book look. There is a small village near to my Mum's place that has thatched cottages and it looks so romantic and pretty. I've never really thought about the spider aspect before, although I don't think the UK spiders are too scary, so you should be okay!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them! When I was a nanny in Germany I lived in a big old thatched roof converted barnhouse. It was beautiful and my little room was way at the top under the eaves. The funny thing was...it was in Hamburg not out in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spiders.....that made me laugh!!!
    They are really cute, story book looking......I'd like to see the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do look completely chocolate-boxy, don't they? But I'd worry about the fire risk, and the low ceilings and the bats. I think I'll just stick with admiring....and admiring....and admiring!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those roofs are amazing...they're truly pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love thatched cottages! Thanks for sharing at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Crazy love for these! We saw quite a few in Cornwall and on our drive home, much to my delight :) Lovely photos! XOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. they really are like a fairytale! but I couldn't handle the spider part either! :)

    ReplyDelete