Thursday, June 30, 2011

Poppies


 I remember last year in our garden...it was our first summer
and bulbs were popping up all over the place...
we really didn't know what was hiding away under the soil.
After the daffs, hyacinths and tulips had been and gone this green foliage
started to erupt. Now my husband wanted to yank it all out, 
thinking that we had a lovely crop of weeds, but I told him off suggested
that we wait and see what happened and sure enough...

we had...Poppies!


Poppies really are the cheeriest little flowers...
opening up during the day to face the sun...
then closing up for the night when it gets dark...


Me and my shadow.


Then I noticed next door these lovely fuller blooms popped up,
growing like weeds in the front garden...


Stunning against a black wall..


This bigger variety of Poppy makes quite an impact..


and I was thrilled when this one bloomed in our garden just this week...


Now I wouldn't ordinarily pick these...but as a certain young boy
kicked his football and broke one off at the base...I brought
it in and popped it in a vase...


and it has been gracing my lounge room...


adding a lovely pop of colour...

8 comments:

  1. It is good to be back at last catching up with your blogging activities. Thank goodness your husband did not remove them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so fortunate to have these naturalized poppies! I love them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have dusky pink in my garden at the moment, not a patch on yours though.. I love how it contrasts beautifully with the white and black in you lovely living room x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The peony-type poppy is gorgeous. We had one popped up in the front garden unexpectedly a couple of years ago. Nobody else has them around here, so presumably a seed blew in or was dropped by a bird. They are very eyecatching aren't they? Our garden is absolutely full of poppies of all sorts... opium poppies (leaves like your red ones only the flowers are purple), wild poppies in all shades from deepest red, to pale pink, to a pinky grey, California poppies which are orangey shades. According to the website www.nhm.ac.uk/fff poppies are one of the many flowers native to our area (you type in your postcode and a whole raft of info comes up) so it is not surprising perhaps that they are so profligate. If that's the right word!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love poppies and grew them for the first time last year. So much so, that I have just planted more seedlings this week. They are so amazing to photograph.

    Loving your peonie type poppy - just gorgeous.

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the wild poppy variety that grows in between the blades of wheat in the fields in the country. This big fluffy poppy reminds me of peony - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello there - wonderful flowers ! we are void of lovely blooms here at present - enjoy your summer :) bes le @ thirdontheright

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous. They grow wild in the fields near here. People often ask me what my favorite flower is and I find myself stumped. I think I just figured it out.

    ReplyDelete