Monday, June 13, 2011

The Royal Mail

I was just rushing out the door on Saturday,
when the postie handed me a parcel and quipped...
'here's something from the folks downunder'...
as he walked off chuckling at his Aussie humour, I dashed inside to rip it open...



It was a gift from my good friend and vintage shopping buddy in Melbourne...
so I knew it would be good...


The larger parcel was decorated with a vintage paper doyley,
complete with little red seal...


And as much as I wanted to just enjoy the 'wrappings'...
I also wanted to discover the contents...


and of course...I wasn't disappointed...


Inside was a vintage wooden "Victory" jig-saw puzzle, 
depicting a young Queen Elizabeth during her "Trooping of the Colour" parade


as well as a souvenir pennant celebrating a Royal Visit in 1954...
possibly to Australia...


but wait...there's more... 
a cute little box decorated with french script and
my friend's latest obsession, antique lace...


contained a vintage Chanel No. 5 perfume bottle...


in it's original box....
but don't go away...there's more...


also floating around in the postpak was this lavender sachet
made from french newspaper, stitched with red cotton...
so clever...


and finally she enclosed some favourite magazines including
Australian Country Style, American Country Living 
and a publication from the Yarra Valley with a great article
about one of our favourite interior decorators Justin Bishop.

I then had to take off for the day...
and I was just dying to flick through my mags 
and play with my lovely gifts...


Thank you Caroline!


12 comments:

  1. Hi Robynne, What wonderful, interesting and thoughtful gifts and so beautifully wrapped, I can just imagine how exciting that was to receive :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful gift. Don't you just love parcels. I'm like a little kid when I get one through the post from my family. Enjoy the American Country Living, there's a house featured from the Hamptons which is to die for! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a beautifully wrapped gift. I also adore Channel #5. That was the scent my mother wore my whole life and it makes me happy just thinking about it. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely parcel! the wrapping is so charming - I wouldn't have wanted to open it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you think she would like to be my friend too?

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. E-mail and text messaging are great, but nothing beats a hand written letter or thoughtful parcel prepared just for you. Lovely presents.
    Hope the pesky computer virus is gone for good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can your friend become my friend? ;-)I love receiving unexpected packages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robynne
    I've given you The Versatile Blogger Award. It was given to me from Picket Fence Fancy.
    I hope you don't mind (no pressure to accept). Please let me know if you want me to remove you from the list.Couldn't find your email address.
    Still loving your blog. Have a great day.

    http://3pickles.blogspot.com/2011/06/versatile-blogger-award.html
    x Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful. I tried so hard to get my mother tickets to the Trooping of the Colour ceremony. I didn't realise that our Queens birthday holiday here is in fact celebrating this and not her actual birthday (which is in April) or at least that's what I'm told.

    Love the packaging - kraft paper, script, and antique lace - does it get any more appealing?

    Enjoy the summer weather - it's cold here (by Australian standards).

    Kylie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it was fun opening the gift with you just now! What lovely packaging that was, brown paper packages tied up with strings, those are a few of my favourite things!

    I'm following you, stop to visit me if you like.

    Ciao Bella!


    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun surprise! I think the heart from a French newspaper is a GREAT idea! Filled with lavender? Stop it! Too cute

    Thank you for joining Post Of The Month Club! XOL

    ReplyDelete