Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dirt under my fingernails

Well that must mean that I've been in the garden...as small as that is. It's hard gardening in a rental as we don't want to spend heaps of money...but at the same time, when the rest of England is looking stunning with a showy array of flowers in everybody's garden...well...suffice to say...I gave in and hit the nursery yesterday!


We have this funny little triangle shaped court yard, outside the dining room and I've tried to make it interesting with a variety of containers, most of which I bought with me from Australia...but a few, like the gal bath here, I have acquired locally.


Lavender is always a  favourite for me and I think it looks great in an enamel bucket like this one or even in gal....and I can bring it inside for a 'holiday' every now and then.



Fruit crates are handy and a very cheap way to display pots of plants...


With the walls of the court yard rendered and painted white, the green foliage and red flowers just 'pop'!


Just can't resist the colour...



I found these red metal golf thingies recently at a very interesting vintage shed...


These ribbed gal tubs are old washing dollies and prove very handy as tables or containers...





For some height I bought these weeping pussy willows, last year, and over winter I string those little Ikea fairy lights...the ones with the battery packs...through the bare sticks for a bit of atmosphere.

Now all I need is a little French vintage bistro setting...


8 comments:

  1. All perfectly shabby chic!! Love it all - esp the big tub & that golf flag (great idea!). BTW, here's my Chelsea post http://happyhomemakeruk.blogspot.com/2011/05/rhs-chelsea-flower-show-2011.html
    Have a great Thursday amongst your beautiful flowers XOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have the french bistro setting- but i have my eye on your golf numbers- they are gorgeous!!
    you & i are approaching it all the same- what can we take home and we don't want to spend a fortune here on a garden that isn't really ours forever!

    your's looks lovely...love that watering can- i found mine in france too...and love all your crates!

    just sent you a long reply email about your trip up north- and then released it's gone to ...any chance you can send it to me and i'll forward the details of a wonderful place in Glen Coe to you...

    mine is : mrsea321@gmail.com

    melissa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah, I miss our English garden. Wasn't very big either, but had tons of colour.

    It's amazing though what you can do with a small courtyard garden - it looks so light and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you have done. Definitely looks like a place I would like to sit with a good book and a cup of tea. The golf flags are a great touch. Very smart! Have a great weekend! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful space you have made Robynne, I love the big tin bath and the enamel bucket and the little golf flags...you are clever! Have a wonderful weekend, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, you've done a GREAT job!! I really like your big tub. We have a very similar one that's sitting around waiting for me to get my act together!! I'm TOTALLY inspired by yours!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello -robynne
    I have just found you and really like your page: such attractive potting ideas and such a pretty garden. I'm not sure what you mean by gal pots, however, they look to me like zinc - is right? Anyway, I share your love of lavender.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely garden Robynne. All photos are gorgeous, but my favourite is he bucket with lavender against the white wall.
    P.S. Thanks for the blog award, it's so nice of you. I just don't know how it works. Do I get an e-mail or is there anything I need to do? Click something?

    ReplyDelete