Sunday, July 3, 2011

Althorp

On Friday the 1st of July, the day that Lady Diana Spencer, would have turned 50, I visited Althorp...home to the Spencer family for 500 years.



As we approached Althorp, the facade of the house looked surprisingly modern for it's 500 years...very restrained, with a notable lack of ornamentation...



We discovered that the original red brick Tudor design had been altered by the Second Earl of Sunderland in the 1700s. Architect, Henry Holland was commissioned to update the interior and exterior of Althorp. The outdated red brick was covered by what appears to be white brick, but which is in fact rebate tiles, flush mounted to look like brick...



Simple pediments to the north and south fronts, new dressings in the Roche Abbey stone from Yorkshire and pilasters in local Kingsthorpe stone for the front entrance, were all added to achieve the 'modern' look we see today...


A view of what must have been the original front drive...now covered in grass...



A walk around the grounds revealed more views of the impressive building...



and lovely green vistas through ancient tree-lined avenues...


The gardens were in bloom with sweet peas...


and the prettiest pink poppies...


An equally interesting building, was the old stable complex, currently used for Diana's exhibit, the shop and the cafe...


In fact we entered the estate through this complex, into a typical courtyard....



Probably built in 1732, they are distinctly different to the great house....their warm honey-coloured ironstone and Italian inspired Tuscan portico's lend to the argument that the stables are the finest piece of architecture at Althorp.




The small gatehouse at the back entrance is of a similar local stone and very quaint and picturesque...


We also happened upon Earl Spencer...he was in the gift shop signing copies of his new book...on Diana's birthday!!

And, no, I haven't forgotten her...I have lots of lovely photos of the Diana exhibit and her memorial which I will share with you later in the week...but bring your tissues.

Here's a little teaser...

7 comments:

  1. I never visited Althorpe, but remember the Royal Wedding so very well, watching it on TV along with the entire nation. I also remember so very well the moment when I heard Diana had died. So very interesting to read this post.

    Thank you for visiting my blog and for your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely and you got to meet the Earl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and informative post for which I thank you.
    It must have been an emotional day for you. There was job at Althorpe but also so much sadness.
    I met the Princess one time and she left a lasting impression.

    Looking forward to your next episode
    Beautiful!
    Helen Tilston

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops ! pardon my typing
    I intended saying " there was so much joy at Althorpe but also so much sadness"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Impressive architecture. The warm bricks of the stable building are really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post Robynne, I often wonder what her life would of been like now if it wern't for the accident x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the vista lined with trees.

    ReplyDelete