Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Diana


Without doubt, the highlight of my visit to Althorp was the opportunity to visit 
Diana's memorial, including the exhibit and the lake where she is interred. 


Upon entering the estate, we walked up through an avenue of trees which had been planted by the Earl in 1998 to commemorate the life of his sister,
Diana, Princess of Wales.


Once inside the stable complex we were able to look at memorabilia from
Diana's childhood including this pretty portrait of her as a very young girl.


There was much in evidence of a happy little girl with family photos, books, toys
and even a portable typewriter from the seventies.


In another room was a marvelous display of her wedding finery including
that dress...


as well as her wedding shoes...


the diamond earrings worn on her wedding day...


and the dresses of the little flower girls...


This is the box in which guests took home a piece of wedding cake.


However, the most moving exhibit was the one showcasing some of Diana's wardrobe...



I remembered her wearing many of these dresses and outfits, like it was just yesterday...


In the background there would be a large photograph of the Princess
wearing these gowns at the various functions and royal occasions...


With the addition of a large screen spooling Diana in action at events and charity
appearances...it was definitely 'lump in my throat' time...


The room containing the 'Books of Condolence' was astounding....


An entire wall was taken up with books from countries all over the world, 
as well as from every county in England.


Especially touching was the many bound examples of children's artwork and letters
to Diana...I'm sure she would have loved these the most..


I then headed down to the lake or The Round Oval as it is known...


The monument standing on the island was designed and carved in memory of
Diana, Princess of Wales, interred here on 6th September 1997.


It is an extremely serene and peaceful setting, with seats all around the lake, 
where you can just sit and contemplate...


The summer house, which was moved to the south of the Round Oval in 1926, 
is now dedicated to Diana.


Earl Spencer is quoted as saying ...."it is therefore appropriate that she has
returned to Althorp, to rest in peace, in the most beautiful of settings,
where she is most truly in context".


Linking up with Sarah at Good Life Wednesday.

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! My daughter and I saw Dianna's clothing exhibit in Kensington Palace and were equally moved. I would love to visit Althorp too.......
    xox Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been a fascinating, emotional and interesting post. Thank you for sharing. Like Kerry I also visiting Kensington Palace and viewed Dianna's clothing exhibit.


    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree, lovely and interesting post Robynne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great post! thanks for taking us along on your visit there - what a stunning place :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In all the time I lived in the UK, it seemed only once we knew we were on our way to Australia did I suddenly want to see so much more. Unfortuntely I never got here. Perhaps next time. Looks truly gorgeous! Rob2 x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for
    this touching
    tour of a beautiful
    resting place. It
    does give me shivers
    to think that fateful
    day that Diana died
    has nearly been 14
    years ago. My daughter
    was two and we'd just
    moved to a new state....
    Still feels like yesterday.
    So wonderful that you
    got to visit, Robynne!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet it was emotional Robynne. Thanks for a great visit - and how did you manage to take such fabulous photos without another soul appearing in them. Makes it look as though you were the only one there, which makes your 'tour' even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The story and the life of Diana is still fascinating even after all these years isn't it? Enjoyed reading and seeing these images of your trip.
    x
    (PS Thank you so much for giving me the Liebster Blog award. I did reply to your comment via email but took a while to realise that it went to 'no-reply blogger' - oops. Anyhow, I think it's lovely that you thought about my blog, but I'm not sure if the awards thing sits that well with me? Thanks anyway. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. During the early years of my fashion career I had the privilege to work at one of the couturiers supplying Diana with clothing for one of her royal tours. Having handled the garments and hand made shoes I know the exquisite quality and detail that goes in to each piece. The exhibition is a wonderful tribute to those who created such divine luxury fit for a Princess. Brilliantly and sensitively posted Rob. Big Hugs - Glenda xxx P.S thank you for such kind words and your lovely message, you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an interesting place. I think the clothing would have made me the saddest; it all seems very touching. So cool you saw the Earl! Thank you for the tour :) XOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. A young mother taken from her children much too early.
    P.S. Thanks for asking how I feel visiting Canada again. I replied in the comments under the Canada Day post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful tribute and resting place for such a beloved lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely post Robynne, has made me a little teary. Thankyou for taking us all along with you, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for taking Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays on such a lovely tour. Great post and great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Robynne, blogger seems to be doing some very strange things this evening, so I am not too sure if you will actually get this! Many thanks for your interesting comments. You are absolutely right about the light and the size of a room. The light or lack of it makes such a difference when painting too! Have a lovely weekend, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Rob,

    I've never been to Diana's grave site. It looks as though it would give me a lump in my throat too. I remember that time when she died so clearly. It was such a tragedy that anyone should die so young - let alone when it seemed so needless.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete