Don't you love the way small children say the word 'pumpkin'. My husband used to jump in and correct the kids when they would say something cute like 'pungkin' or 'hostabil'....and I would discourage him saying that they will not say 'cute' things forever...in fact they later graduated to more annoying words like 'whatever'....
Anyway, getting back to'pungkins', I decided to make some soup last night as I had a variety of strange looking specimens that I had bought as decorations. I was worried that they might start to rot...so into the pot they went.
My pumpkin soup recipe really amounts to just throwing in whatever I happen to have at hand. I usually use leeks, but if I don't have any, a brown onion will do fine. Also lots of garlic is good if it's hanging around.
Just chop the garlic finely and throw into a pot with some melted butter, follow up with sliced leeks or chopped onions and just sweat in the pot.
Then the fun part, chop all the bleeping pumpkin, as well as a couple of potatoes and any other veges you might like to throw in. I sometimes use sweet potatoes and a carrot.
45 minutes later (including a couple of trips to check out the Commonwealth Games closing ceremony on t.v.) and all the bleeping pumpkin was cut up and ready for the pot....not my favourite job...
Throw in with the leeks and garlic and finish off with a litre or so of stock. I tend to use vegetable stock but low salt chicken stock is probably the traditional option.
About an hour later and some fun with my new handblender (I only managed to splatter over half of the kitchen wall) we have this....
A sprinkling of parsely and into the bowl....
Don't forget the cream....if you want to be naughty!
Wow, yum!! I just added you to my blogroll so I can easily visit you daily :)
ReplyDeleteXO Laura