Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Last Week's Haul!

Last week I intended to drive to the Antiques and Collectibles Fair at Newark. This is a fantastic fair, with hundreds of sellers spread over the Nottingham Showgrounds. However, due to youngest son feeling 'poorly' I couldn't go.  So to compensate for my inability to spend my husband's hard earned money on what he calls 'crap', I trotted off over the next few days to a favourite emporium and a small local fair....and actually I did alright!!

Skittles! 


Two terrific little boxes..... I decided I had to know about H. Samuel in Manchester, so I googled and found out that the company is a very old retail jewellery business. H. Samuel began in 1862 when Harriet Samuel took over her father-in-law's clock making business. She ran the mail order side whilst her son developed the retail side of the business.


After reading this message on the inside lid I'm convinced that these cute little boxes  were designed to send watches (perhaps fobs), back and forth in the mail.

It's amazing what I can learn simply by spending 2 pounds!



On a slightly larger scale, I stumbled across this small piece of furniture. The front opens out into a magazine rack, while the top flips up providing further storage.



I'm going to give it a paint (possibly black) and upholster (I use the term lightly) the cushion with this old grain sack. Will post a shot when it's completed.



The best finds were these religious bits for my collection.......


The little bracelet appears to be a baby's christening gift, made up of small medals. The card is a remembrance token of poor Hannah, aged 88...she had a good innings! The heart looks to be homemade but is very charming.


A Christmas prayer....I really love this...and it was thrown in for free with the next item.....


a Book of Psalms in it's own (grubby) box...


well thumbed I might add!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Robynne.. i'm checking daily for new posts!

    ReplyDelete