It's feeling a bit wintry here in England today and my thoughts have turned to last winter when we got lashings of snow. Now this was very unusual, so the locals tell me, and to most it was quite a nuisance.
But not to us 'intrepid Australians', very new to village life and absolutely delighted to wake up one morning before Christmas to a pristine covering of the white stuff!
As luck would have it, we were all home. Hubby had taken the day off as our eldest son had arrived for Christmas, and the last day of school was cancelled because of the snow!
The village looked like a 'picture postcard' with the bare trees a stark contrast to the white snow.
Early 'spring lamb'.
So off we all went, through the church grounds and onto the farmer's fields...
for a spot of tobogganing...
making snow angels..
playing fetch with Lucy the 'snowball catching' dog...
and of course a snowball fight!
There was even souvenirs to be had....not to mention a cracker photo for someone's facebook homepage!
The following week it snowed even harder. The temperature then dropped further and everything was icy and beautiful....
The bets were on, fast and furious, will it be a white Christmas this year? The Brits bet every year on this possibility, and although it rained a few days before and melted all the snow, there was a snowflake recorded as falling somewhere within the British Isles...so yes we had a white Christmas!
Needless to say we are hoping for more snow this year...many a raised eyebrow from the locals has not deterred us....we don't mind the disruption....no really we want more of the stuff!
Although...I must put a shovel in the car in case I slide off the road...also a duvet and a heavy coat in case I get stuck in the car....and stock up the pantry so I don't have to tackle the drive to the supermarket for food...
A footnote...
this is one of my favourite shots....it's nearly impossible to get one at all....he's so quick....he always studies me from his high perch....then as I raise the camera....he disappears....but I got him this time...but not since!














Yes, it was so cold yesterday! They said it was 2 degrees - which is why I never like Celsius, because that sounds so much colder than 35 degrees Fahrenheit :)
ReplyDeleteLovely post, as always
XO L
It's lovely the bird an the snow!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnn