Wednesday, August 3, 2011

MUMM's the word.

Bonjour, mon amies...yes I've been away and yes I have just had a
 visit into France....
but can you guess whereabouts???


You can't guess...o.k....we visited Reims in the Champagne region...
and although I have hundreds of photos of the city and surrounding areas 
I thought I would start with our visit to Mumm.


We made some enquiries about having a tasting or two,
 but the only way they would give us a drink was
 to pay for a tour....so off we went...


We went down and down into the cellars...here we saw the original 
barrels that were used to store the champagne...
these are now no longer used due to the flavours
 imparted from the oak...


There was lots of clever displays, including these back-lit bottles...


I would have happily taken home a few of these boxes...


These old bottles contain the 'heritage' of the champagne house...
and are often referred to by the Cellar Master for taste comparisons.


There are 25 kilometres of caves which took 70 years to build.


A sample of some of the bottle sizes...


Some very happy customers!

6 comments:

  1. Oh Yummmmm. Champagne is my favourite. Looks great Robyn.
    Enjoy
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the introduction to Mumm's and this region of France, I have not been yet. How interesting. Thanks
    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a beautiful start to my morning. That goes to show, people can be very persistent to get a good bottle of bubbly "there are 25 kilometres of caves which took 70 years to build." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, is right. Glad to see you enjoyed the trip. I can't wait to read more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love champagne. Generally speaking, you can pick up good quality wine in France for not much money, which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gosh Rob this sounds fantastic. Hope you gave some tips to Graeme and Louise.
    Love reading about your adventures.
    Love Anne-Maree Fraser xxxxx
    Ringwood North
    Australia

    ReplyDelete