Bonjour, today I am taking you on a tour of Epernay which is home to some of the leading Champagne manufacturers including Moet et Chandon, Perrier-Jouet and Mercier.
The most famous street in Epernay is Avenue de Champagne...residents say it's the most expensive street in the world because of the millions of bottles of champagne stored in the chalk cellars beneath...
So, of course, a famous street deserves some top notch accommodation and the Hotel de Ville will do just fine...
With our cameras madly clicking away, we made a bee line for Moet...we were working up a thirst...
We passed Dom Perignon on the way in...he is credited with developing the 'Methode Champenoise'.
The interior of the Chateau was beautifully decorated...
I would have loved to sit in this drawing room, sipping on a champas...Moet of course...
This chandelier is made of hundreds of champagne glasses...
Across the road is the original chateau, which backs onto the vineyards...
This old monogram at the gate proclaimed a distant heritage..
Typical French rooflines...
intriguing doors...
amazing facades and grand entrances...
this avenue has it all.
Another favourite...Perrier Jouet...celebrating 200 years...
I don't remember what this building was, but I just loved the simplicity of the white with the black balconette.
We stopped at the cellar door of 'A Bergere'....for a well earned drink...
then we headed back down the road, past this private home with a very exclusive address...
Looking up the avenue...which, as I understand, is in the running to be named a UNESCO site.
I hope you enjoyed this snapshot of my visit to the Champagne region of France...next stop...Denmark.
Hi Robyn, thanks so much for popping over to visit my blog. I have enjoyed reading yours immensley, I've never been to Europe so to see all the photos and stories is amazing. What a great experience to have! Would love for you to pop into my shop if you are ever visiting Mt Dandenong again :)
ReplyDeletealicia
timewornstyle@ihug.com.au
I feel tipsy :-). I didn't know all these famous champagne makers are located on one street. Thanks for the tour.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful buildings and the chandelier made of champagne glasses, so effective, I had to really look to see them. Epernay sounds like a lovely place to visit and not just for the champagne :) x
ReplyDelete