Monday, July 18, 2011

The Seaside

During our stay here in England, we have not seen a great deal of coastline.
Where we live in the Midlands, we are about as far from the coast as
you can possibly be. However, the little bit that we've seen has been 
memorable with some pretty pebbly beaches,
along with some stunning scenery
and quaint harbours and inlets.


The pretty village of St. Ives in Cornwall was a spectacular introduction
to a quintessential English seaside destination,
with a lighthouse overlooking a small swimming beach..


made all the more picturesque with the little red and white
 yachts bobbing about in the water.



The town of Dartmouth in Devon was reached via a ferry 
and was well worth the queue of cars waiting to board.
This town is definitely on my list to visit again...


A mere four and a half hours drive from us is Aberaeron, in Wales.
This little coastal town is a favourite holiday destination in the summer...


and home to some very pretty pastel coloured houses.


The little harbour is home to a variety of boats..







***

A bit further afield in Italy I had the chance to visit the Isle of Carpi...


Just a short boat trip off the coast of Sorrento, 
I found yet more quaint little boats tied up in the harbour...


One of the locals insisted on being in a picture too.



***

A little closer to home on the Normandy coast in France
there are many beautiful seaside villages...


In Saint Valery-sur-Somme a little boat sits beached on the muddy flats
of the estuary on the River Seine.


Further around the coast, the pretty village of Honfleur
is a safe harbour to these yachts lined up waiting to go sailing off...


Restaurants and cafes line the edge of the harbour 
offering lovely views as we dined on the water's edge.

***

As you've probably noticed I like taking photos of little fishing boats,
especially the neglected and forlorn looking ones.
One day, when I have a beach house I will hopefully
have a nice collection of them to remember our
coastal visits!


4 comments:

  1. Hello Robynne

    What a feast for sore eyes (my Dad's expression)
    is your post of today. I adore the ocean and you captured the essence of England so well. Now I want so much to go there, particularly Dartmouth.
    Thank you for the beautiful images and the little escape to England.
    Wishing you a week full of joy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what beautiful pics! I'm always drawn to boats as well and feel so fortunate to have this apartment overlooking the yachts in the marina. I share your dream to have a beach house someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can look at harbours, boats, sails and light houses all day, no matter where they are. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robynne just catching up with your posts. I love all these pictures of seaside towns, there is just something wonderful about them all. OH I do like to be beside the seaside! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete