Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Les Puces

Flea markets in France are full of the most wonderful things....not junk, as my hubby was muttering all the way around Port de Vanves, last week.


I took him along as my 'official' photographer...


to record my first foray into a French Puces...


I found these glass frames...


and after a little negotiation...I came home with these..


I then discovered a number of beautiful stalls with old textiles...


including haberdashery items...


and I wanted to purchase so much...but I was very well behaved...


I found these little collars in the finest cotton...


I thought they would look beautiful framed...


and lastly this doily...I just couldn't resist that little rosette.

So needless to say, I did happily get on that train to come home, having achieved my goal to check out a French flea market.

However, next time I'm taking a truck!


Before I close this post I have to tell you a funny story...

When we got back to central Paris, we took a stroll down to the river, and as we walked we passed by a little fenced park. People were just sitting on benches in the sun and it all looked very peaceful, when suddenly I spied a bench covered with books. They were just strewn everywhere and there was a lady bending over apparently browsing...selecting one here...one there. Well I couldn't get the gate open fast enough (in fact I nearly couldn't get the gate open at all)...I rushed over and asked who the books belonged to...the lady said that someone had put them there for people to take, rather than throwing them out. So without hesitation I grabbed an arm full! My mortified husband was hiking up the street as if he didn't know me by this stage...and as I called out to him I spied a supermarket type bag blowing around...so I grabbed it, turfing the apple core out that was in the bottom and promptly stashed my newly acquired books in. Meanwhile hubby was valiantly trying to put as much distance between us as he could...



All in all it was a very productive day...I was very happy with my purchases and who doesn't love a freebie!!

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea to put the books out on a park bench for people to take for free. I really like that idea. I put things out in front of my cottage with 'free' signs often and they are snatched up within minutes. But everything else I drive down to the local Goodwill...which all gets taken to a shop for money. But I really like that idea of just a simple kind giving away of something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dream,Paris and flea markets.

    Keep the stories flowing.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been waiting to see what you actually bought at the Flea market - lovely...and you got some freebies too! Right time, right place.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, jealous, jealous, jealous. I've never been to a real French market. Oh, wait, actually I did once when I was little...but I was waaaay too young to appreciate it. I remember thinking how boring it all was!!!!

    Those books are awesome!! What a find! And I love your husband-story!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been waiting for this part and you didn't disappoint... love the glass frames I would of snapped them up too and the fabric and haberdashery stalls are wonderful.

    what a lovely idea of leaving books for others to enjoy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. paris and its flea markets - nothing compares! love your photos especially of the textile! i have a good friend who lives in paris and goes around the flea markets and brocantes regularly. i think she lives a charmed life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robynne, next time take me. We could have a competition who packs more books into a blowing plastic bag, pockets, under one's neck and arms in a shorter period of time :-).

    ReplyDelete