Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fifty.

Somebody told me today that 50 is the new 40. Well if that's the case I have turned 40 today!

I actually disagreed with him and suggested that 50 is the new 30...however, I think I'm pushing my luck on that one seeing as some mornings I'm convinced that 50 is the new 60!!

Anyway, after I raised my 50 year old head off the pillow this morning my husband and youngest son presented me with this....



A new wiz bang Canon digital SLR (and that's all I know about it) camera!! I was thrilled as I'm keen to improve my photographic skills and this should do it for me...if I can learn how to work it that is...Hubby has been charged with reading the instruction book from cover to cover so that he can 'give it to me in a nutshell'! No seriously, I'm considering doing a short photography course as I will undoubtedly  need lots of help. So stay tuned my blogs are going to blow your mind...any day soon...



I've already blown out my candle, via skype. My silly sister (you know the one that's frightened of sheep) set up a table at her place in Melbourne with a cake, a candle and glasses of champas to toast. She then made me blow out the candle, and although my husband thinks I'm full of a lot of hot air...I did actually need some help achieving that, through the computer screen. Luckily she spat blew all over the cake and managed to put it out for me!

I also had my daughter on the phone, so we were all having a very disconnected three way conversation...very much like being at home really... and as we were all talking over each other to each other....

....my husband walked through the door with a huge parcel. Along with my son, the three of them had sent my pressie to Paul, earlier in the week, so it could be plonked on my lap as we spoke.

And it was full of surprises...from my favourite shop in Melbourne.



Wrapped beautifully (by my girlfriend in Melbourne) with old french tape, metal numbers and topped with a page from a french architectural book...



was an old french ledger..


with tiny perfect numbers and script...



these calico sacks...



and a roll of french tickets and french labels...

But there was more...a beautiful monogrammed french sheet and a pair of cushions made from old damask (something that Cote Provence does really well)....



Of course the minute hubby took off to work I couldn't wait to play...and dress the bed...


Look at the monogram...'P & R' for Paul and Robynne!



An old pair of monogrammed pillowcases that I purchased in Melbourne, years ago, finally found a home...



So I can sell you a french ticket and you can take a number if you want to see my lovely new bedding.

Now all I need is an antique french bed....a new bedside table for hubby's side....

13 comments:

  1. A very Happy Birthday to you. The camera looks very technical...have fun. Enjoy your day.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday - I agree - 50 is the new 30, because I just turned 60 and I know it's the new 40 - at least that's what my cake said! Have a wonderful time exploring the workings of your new SLR - I have had one for a couple of years - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sto lat! = May you live 100 years - this is a Polish equivalent to Happy Birthday. What a lovely day you've had. Your family and friends prepared a wonderful surprise for you. May the whole coming year be equally lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I'm so excited for you and your new camera.

    Oh, one more thing! Cough it up! I'll trade you the name of the shop you want if you tell me the shop mentioned in this post ;-)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy birthday - lovely way to begin the day, such wonderful surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, happy golden birthday, Robynne! My, you have been treated - it's all divine. Enjoy your day, my friend! J x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday.....1961 was a good year for babies..snap!
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am SO pleased to find someone else, who when presented with page after page of technical mumbo jumbo explaining in man's language how to work/use something, then hands it to her other half to decipher and show her or tell her how to use it in five easy steps... I thought it was just me, most of my friends plough their way through all the technical jargon! I don't have the patience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi robyn, thanx for the hello! I love your blog, very interesting, mine is really only about the house. I just mentioned my DD because I don't hide from her diagnosis, but like your DS, my DD is so normal to us, but she doesn't speak - bumma bout that, but of course, she's not 3 yet, so very early days. The pead said by 4 we will know a bit better what we are in for. However, she is such a joy, I'm really not concerned atm. Glad to hear your optimism for your youthful age, time just flies doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, you have it right...50 is the new 30! Happy Birthday! And those guys of yours picked out a stellar gift! Loving that monogram too.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Aries girl! Mine was on the 9th. I hope you had a great trip to Paris/Disney - can't wait to hear all about it :) XOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! I turned 50 at Christmas last year and I still feel like I am 30 ...its all a state of mind!!! Love all your goodies,you got spoiled as you should!! Enjoy them my dear friend,enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes,I meant to tell you that I so agree with the note you left me,I have often thought that too...how can anyone live without beauty around them....thats all I leaving now :) x0x0

    ReplyDelete