Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Being British.

 ...not easy for me as the minute I open my mouth here in England, I give myself away...I will never be mistaken for being British! In fact I've been told I have a very obvious Aussie accent...more so than hubby and son...not sure if that's a good thing or not...do I sound like Steve Irwin or god forbid Paul Hogan? I must admit I do 'bung it on' sometimes as the locals seem to love it. One lady in a shop I visited commented that she just loved my Aussie accent...I thought she was a bit crackers!

In honour of Sarah's first link party, I thought I would be very British today and drag out my small collection of flags.

Since I arrived I have been on the lookout for Union Jack flags to turn into cushions...however I can't seem to bring myself to cut them up...



The Union Flag, or Union Jack as it is called represents
the Saint George Cross, the patron saint of England, 
the Saint Patrick Cross, patron saint of Ireland 
and the saltire (diagonal cross) of Saint Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland.



This flag is a Canadian Red Ensign used between 1921 and 1957. 
Also called the 'Red Duster' it was a courtesy flag used by civilian ships visiting U.K. waters.



I've just realised I actually have this one back to front, but you still get the idea.
A British Empire flag found on ebay has the Star of India in the middle,
the Australian coat of arms, the Union of South Africa coat of arms
and the Canadian crest or shield.



Another Union Jack, found at Portobello Market and a great size for a cushion.




I found this bunting last weekend in London.
Bunting was originally a type of lightweight wool, manufactured
at the turn of the 17th century. It was used for making ribbons and flags including
signal flags for the Royal Navy.
More recently the term bunting is also used for a collection of flags,
with an individual flag called a bunt.

Now for more Good Life Wednesday grab Sarah's button and head on over.


8 comments:

  1. Wow, what a nice collection! I love all of it - I'm getting quite a collection myself;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came over to help you with the lines but it looks to me like you figured out how to get rid of them! Isn't it nice. It took me 7 mos to figure out how to get rid of them. When I began blogging 4 yrs ago the templates didn't have lines and I was so sad when they changed the templates on us(upgraded). I do love your flags and will come back to read more of your journey! ox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robynne,
    Found you via Sarah's Beach Cottage. She moved from the UK to Australia, you went the other way. I am just about to move from Canada to Poland...and it must be a flag week as I posted about flags two days ago. I think because of this coincidence I must follow you :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww... I have to say I'm quite partial to a good old Union Jack!! When I come over to Blighty, I'm going to pick one up for my garden. I've seen a few around here in NJ... It's like a signal to fellow Brits! So happy you are enjoying England!! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great collection of flags, especially the red duster. I have just bought a huge one recently...too big for a cushion but would be fab framed if I ever get round to it.
    At the moment I have it draped round a mannequin....
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robynne,
    thanks for stopping by from Sarah's link party and leaving your sweet comment on my kitchen makeover! The faucet (tap) is one of my favourite things and really does make a difference! I'd be wanting to take it with me if I move too! The last house we had, we did a major kitchen reno a couple of months before we decided to move too so I know exactly how you feel about getting it just right just in time for the new owners!

    Love your flags! I bought a union jack cushion from Laura Ashely in blues that I love. I'd love to have a big tufted ottoman made with one.

    As for the accent, I've been travelling back and forth to Ireland for 4 years while my guy works there and every time I open my mouth, someone asks me where in the US I'm from. When I tell them I'm from Canada, they immediately apologize for their mistake! It's ok - I'm very partial to Americans so I'm never at all offended! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collection of flags and great blog you have happening here.
    As a Canadian that lived in England and now down under in Australia living in other countries has been the most amazing adventure full of all kind of interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love British and Aussie accents!!! We Americans sound so plain compared to you all. I just love to hear you speak ~ can't get enough of British movies.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete