After doing a little bit of research I know a little bit about the origins of Monogrammes.
Monogrammes evolved in the 19th century when French kings and nobles began personalizing their linens with large symbols and crests.
The relatively basic looking monogrammes consisting perhaps of cross-stitched lettering was a means of identifying household linens on wash day. As the royals had linen maids, these wenches had to be able to distinguish ownership of the various undersheets, pillowcases and sleepwear via small red cross stitched letters, usually found on one corner and often embroidered by the maid herself.
In imitation of royalty the trousseau became popular. The term 'trousseau' means 'bundle of clothes' and was brought to the marriage by the bride, remaining her property.
The trousseau became a mark of family wealth, the more decorative or ornate the embroidery, the wealthier the family.
In farming families a farmer would set aside land to plant flax or hemp for his daughter's linen. The girl would often start embroidering her linens well before she was betrothed, so would sew her own initials.
Once her future husband was known she would then sew the bride and grooms initials onto her linens.
Over the past few years I have started to collect monogrammed napery. I especially love a 'red' monogram but some of the 'white work' embroidered onto white damask or linen is really subtle and beautiful.
I have some odd napkins, such as the ones above, and also a couple of 'sets' that can be used for dinner parties.
| A set of 4! |
| A set of 8! |
One of my favourite possessions is this damask tablecloth with a beautiful monogram in the centre.
Looking at the many initials I often wonder about the names of the people that these linens were intended for...perhaps this tablecloth belonged to the trousseau of 'Maree' and was embroidered for her betrothed 'Sebastian'...
I have a small collection of cushions, mainly purchased from 'Cote Provence' back home in Australia. The owner Julie has cleverly converted remnants of vintage monogrammed tea towels and napkins into beautiful cushions and even lampshades.
I also came across embroidered ribbon. These would have originally been cut into individual monogrammes for tea towels etc.
Then, at a market in Brussels, I found a lady who was selling these ribbons by the monogramme. She had a box of different initials and I managed to find my own for 'Robynne Lesely' ...my mother wanted a boy!
In France, other more utilitarian items were monogrammed such as flour or grain sacks.
I imagine that these would be the initials of the farmer....
These are fantastic to turn into cushions or even table runners.
You've gotta love the French....making something so ordinary into something beautiful.
Have a look at Monograminc.com to find out more and see some beautiful examples of mongrammed linen.


No comments:
Post a Comment