Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Holiday Loot.

While in Sorrento I was hoping to get to an antique or flea market, but as that didn't eventuate I had to be extra vigilant whilst touring and shopping in the region.

I was really on the lookout for religious curio's and as luck would have it.....



I found the religious card in one of the many churches in Sorrento. For a coin donation anyone passing by the entrance could take a card or light a candle.



I really love this old rosary for my collection. The red beads really pop. I found it in Ravello on the Amalfi coast.



This cute little box was found in Positano. I'm not sure if it's religious or not as I couldn't understand the old Italian man as he described it's purpose to me. I just nodded, smiled and high-tailed it out of the shop! However I think there is a very good chance that it could be, with the little hands either side and a tiny little plaque thing on the front!!



I think he said it was made of silver, but that could mean it has silver paint on it...still the filigree design is very cute.



A small religious picture from an antique shop in Sorrento.



This is really special. It's a 'devotional scapular' depicting the 'Sacred Heart'...."the Heart is never strange or cold...the Love that is ever new and old".

A scapular consisted of two small (usually rectangular) pieces of cloth, wood or laminated paper bearing religious images or text. They were joined by two bands which were draped over the shoulders with one hanging at the front and one at the back. These scapulars could be worn by a layman, whilst the larger monastic scapulars were worn originally by monks and also later by nuns.

The man who sold it to me, told me that this one would have been embroidered by nuns and was around 150 years old.

It goes nicely with one I purchased a while ago...


This one depicts 'St. Anthony of Padua' and has a little medal sewn on top.



Just a few special things...I'm happy!

2 comments:

  1. well *g'day*.....

    lovely to have stmbles upon your blog via the gorgeous *link-with-home* sarah from "a beach cottage"....

    we too are australians living in the english countryside...it's been almost three years for us now with our three kiddos....

    we have had an absolute ball so far...collecting as you have done above, through endless travels and just experiencing a life soo opposite to what we know on the beaches of sydney...

    loved your snow photos...wasn't it great...as you say perfect facebook photos were created for some family members!
    lovely to become a new follower!

    melissa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so beautiful. Must've been a fun adventure to be on the lookout throughout your trip. You got some lovely things.

    ReplyDelete