Monday, November 22, 2010

Back Row, Centre.

Yesterday, hubby and I decided to brave the crowds and head to the cinema to see the latest Harry Potter film...'The Deathly Hallows'. I love going to the pics but I do find it very stressful.

At first I was a bit reluctant as this was the film's first weekend and I hate crowds, especially here in England where there seems to be 10 times as many people at every event than there would be in Australia, but Hubby assured me that they were running this movie every 30 minutes in 8 different cinemas so I eventually agreed. We decided that our best bet would be to book online...now this is really easy...you just need to pick up your ticket by sticking your credit/debit card in a little machine at the cinema and voila!

As we had booked the 11.30am show (which cramped my style a little for a Sunday morning...having to get out of bed by 10.30 and all), the carpark was not too bad...plenty of the cheaper parks available...only 30p an hour! However, I did start to worry as we walked towards the entrance as there seemed to be quite a number of families heading in the same direction...possibly all going to the same session as us! I started to stress....would our tickets have a seat allocation, if not, what sort of seat would we manage to get....I don't want my nose pressed up against the actual screen! So my pace quickened, with hubby running to catch up after placing the ticket in the car window, we strolled (quickly) inside and up the stairs....hardly anyone there...whew! Not even a queue at the ticket machine which usually has one out of four working!

We had plenty of time...25 minutes till the start...so after a quick trip to the loo we entered cinema no. 11...but more anxiety...would someone have beaten us to the back row centre.....a family with 5 or 6 kids in toe...which would mean we would have to sit in the second back row with kids kicking our seats.....

No...it was o.k. the people who had beaten us in there were, for some strange reason, sitting much farther forward, some were even sitting in the bays against the wall! Why would you do that when you could have back row centre?

So we planted ourselves nicely in the back row centre...with hubby proceeding to play sudoku on his blackberry while I counted the seats to make sure I was actually 'dead centre'! I then proceeded to  worry if someone was going to sit right beside me or, even worse, straight in front of me! This can be very annoying when the cinema is fairly empty, which it was. A lady did eventually sit one seat from me  then had the cheek to put her coat on the spare seat between us but after a shooting a few dirty looks her way I could deal!

Anyway, so far so good, no-one in front.

The lights began to dim, but oh no here comes a family...late...looking for seats. I crossed my fingers hoping they wouldn't plonk themselves down right in front....luckily they also preferred to sit against the wall...strange...but very relieved I sat back to watch the movie previews which were mostly the annoying animated type movies...were they going to preview anything decent?

Finally the main event began, and I settled down to watch...however this particular cinema complex has the annoying habit of leaving a bank of dimmed overhead lights on...I guess so that nobody does a header down the stairs in the middle of the movie...you know...those irritating people that have to go out to the loo or the snack shop in the middle of the feature..but once Harry appeared on the screen I found I didn't even notice...whew!

Much later....nearly 3 hours later....the credits were rolling....but....do we stay till the very last to see if there's a spoiler for the second part or not....

1 comment: