As the Autumn progresses I've noticed the wildlife is becoming very industrious. The Robins have returned to the area...I can hear them singing and have had the odd visit to my garden. I bought some mealy bugs from the nursery recently, but the robins have turned up their noses and totally ignored them, choosing instead to hunt for flying insects or worms after I have watered the garden.
The walnut tree is laden with nuts, which regularly drop onto our roof with a thud, often hotly pursued by this little fellow who dashes across our house in what sounds like hob nailed boots..
Paul collected a tub full and popped them on the table outside where my little mate found them this morning...
Well...he couldn't collect them fast enough, and made a huge mess in the process, spreading soil all over the place as he scurried off to bury them in our front yard...
So now there are perfectly round little holes where he has effectively 'screwed' into the ground his nuts!
Now, with all this activity going on I did a bit of foraging of my own, and came up with this beauty...
It's an old organ chest which has been re-purposed as a coffee table
On the side is stencilled 'Mason & Hamlin Organ'...and I love that it's beaten up, just a bit..
I also love my 'gladies'...they remind my of my Nanna whose name was Gladys.
Linking up today for more Autumn stories with Sarah at Modern Country Style.
I love your little friend! We have one too that takes all the bird seed. :) The trunk is gorgeous, i love them used as a table like that.
ReplyDeleteComing over from Modern Country Style.
xo
What a cheeky little squirrel!!! And lucky you for getting such great photos!!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE your trunk. How great is that?!!
Thank you so much for linking to Modern Country Style's Fall In Love party.
And, oh, I've just seen Michelle's comment. If you have a moment then do pop by and see her, she's REALLY nice!
Sarahx
Hello! Very nice fotos! And very sweet squirrel:)
ReplyDeleteThe grey squirrels look similar in Florida but they have whispier tails than any of the ones that I've seen in England. There are tons of them where I live. You know that the grey squirrels in the UK aren't indigenous and were brought over on boats returning from the USA in the early days of colonization?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, your blog has explained to me what all the tiny holes are that I keep seeing near the squirrel trees - I knew they weren't big enough to be armadillo damage! :-)
Oh thats hysterical...love your little visitor..at least not throwing the nuts at you..visit from Sarah's site. ~Happy Autumn
ReplyDeleteLol!! The little cheeky little blighter. You might not be so quick to refill that tub when it's empty.
ReplyDeleteYour coffee table is stunning too as are those very vibrant flowers! Simply stunning! Are they from your garden?
Great photos of your little friend. The trunk is wonderful and I love gladiolas. I could just move in into your living room :-).
ReplyDeleteIt amazes me how squirrels find their "larder" again after they have buried them carefully in so many places.
ReplyDeleteGreat trunk, especially with the remains of a Cunard label...obviously well travelled!
Julie x
I just love your photos of the little squirrel. What a find with that trunk, it sets off the living room beautifully.
ReplyDeleteLove the squirrels! saw this over at Sarah's party... also love the weathered chest!
ReplyDeleteyours is my favorite autumn post, hands down! gorgeous and thank you so much for making me smile.
ReplyDeletemichele
Love the squirrel and the trunk.
ReplyDeleteKylie x
Oh my goodness, how cute is that squirrel? Where we live in Australia we sometimes have bandicoots and bob-tails, but no squirrels:( I am your newest follower and am looking forward to exploring more of your site.
ReplyDelete