Monday, October 24, 2011

Bringing Autumn into the house

Lately, I've been watching the weather outside....admiring the Autumn colour, but cringing at the leaves flying off the trees, looking forward to the snow, but dreading the winter, observing the climbing temps back home, and wishing I was there for a decent summer.


So, there was nothing else for it really, but to bring some Autumn colour inside the house...


This arrangement was left over from a recent Seniors Lunch, which I helped with in the village. I had scavenged around the village gardens (I asked first), and the hedgerows, to pad out the roses and white daisies...so I just jammed it all in and I was very happy with the result....


There is a huge variety of pumpkin and orange toned roses available at this time of the year, and I wouldn't ordinarily combine orange and red, but it really seemed to work...


So, off I took with my trusty secateurs and found some interesting berries and leaves in the hedgerows to liven up some new roses...


These paler beauties, looked lovely with some red and black coloured berries...


and this pale apricot rose, I have arranged with white roses, black berries and Autumn leaves...


and as the leaves fall from the arrangement, they look great lying on the table...


On the hearth, I have crammed some sort of daisy, again in lovely orange tones, with some more white roses, and red berries into an old florists bucket..


These daisies almost didn't make it home with me as I put them back twice, they didn't look much in the shop... but I think they have come into their own with the red and white...


The other thing I'm loving at the moment is the variety of little pumpkins around...something we don't see in Oz...


Look at the little hint of orange in the creases here...the only trouble with sticking one under a glass cloche is that they tend to grow little white furry coats within a couple of days...


I actually have different varieties, scattered all over the house, for just a little punch of Autumn and Halloween..


But my favourite are these little white ones...


Oh, and I nearly forgot these orange berries I sort of nicked out of someones front garden...I tend to take of for a walk with my secateurs just in case I find something interesting....

16 comments:

  1. Lovely autumn colours, especially love your white pumpkins and the orange berries! Enjoy your week
    xxx Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Th autumn flowers are lovely especially the roses. My yellow rose bush is covered with blooms at the moment which will last for months. The weather at the moment is very unpredictable. 30 last Friday & yesterday it rained on & off all day & reached 17. Hope the Queen is enjoying all four seasons in one day. She opened the new Children s Hospital which is supposed to make it one of the best in the world. Love A;ice xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flower arrangements are beautiful - I love the softer tones of Autumn in the UK, they are so calming.
    Hope you get some bright blue skies this winter
    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the orange and red together - not something I would have thought of, but it looks fabulous!
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Autumn colours too! Had Burnt Orange as my wedding colour. But I also love the new green of Spring on the trees. Ooh, which one, which one? Deffo the sun of Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh- I love all of these arrangements! But the top one with the red and orange and white daisies is my favourite. Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pumpkins. There are so many varieties of them in Canada which I miss, because in Poland we have mostly the traditional big orange pumpkin and the smaller varieties are not so well knows or readily available.
    The flower arrangements are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rob-

    i am giggling out loud- only an australian would go walking with garden scissors in one's back pocket!!

    i think nothing of reaching over a neighbouring hedge and just plucking off a little something- esp when the bush is dripping with flowers or berries...the first time i did it- my closest girlfriend here almost died!!

    i love all your autumn colours- and i agree- i've never done the red, orange, yellow thing - but it so works...if we can't be home in the heat- well us aussie gals can throw ourselves into autumn with the best of them...

    melissa xxx

    ps- hope you got my last email - thinking of you and yours in Melb x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Robynne, all your arrangements are delightful. The pumpkin in the cloche is exquisite, it's so intricate, you would almost think its a fake one. I love the white ones too, I can't get tem here. I did get a lot of very cute little gourds this year though.

    Many thanks for your visit and comments, and the tip about felt toadstools in Ikea, will check it out. Have a Happy Halloween, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Autumn home is so lovely...pure joy! Your blog is darling...I am starting to think Christmas now...I know it is early but all the stores have gotten me sooo excited with all the happy Christmas treasures....have a great weekend. xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful arrangement! I love the autumn colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such pretty colours! And those roses are my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. just a delight - a beautiful autumn study :) le xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really really beautiful! I guess you wouldn't have pumpkins in Australia around Halloween - I'd never really thought about it. And how I LOVE that typewriter! XOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Robynne, sitting in bed at 10 on a saturday morning, on the computer....I ask you!!! Seriously, good for you. I have to sit at the kitchen table. I've tried in bed, on the settee, in the garden, but I am most comfortable in the kitchen.

    Thankyou for your kind remarks, I am glad you enjoyed the pics. Have a lovely week, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Robynne,

    Hope things are well on your side of the pond.

    I was just e-mailing with Jane from Small but Charming and we were talking about Deborah. I saw you left her a comment a few weeks back, as have we. Wondering if you heard anything back from her? It's a little concerning.

    Steve urbancottageblog @ gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete