Saturday, October 8, 2011

Hunting & Collecting

Yesterday I trekked northwards in search of treasures, all the way to the Newark and Nottinghamshire Showground for the International Antique and Collectors Fair (IACF) and there were treasures galore...


and to my delight a lot of the pitches had a decidedly French theme...


look at these gorgeous large green bottles...I need at least 3...or 5....


a lot of the furniture was in that lovely soft palette..


the 'Beyond France' display...with fabrics beyond amazing.


I really liked this little vignette...although the mirror is probably a bit OTT..


Of course there was plenty of the strange and unusual...anybody for a stuffed pheasant or a spare head...?


Or perhaps a pink fireplace surround...just what I need...


what can I say except...this is real hide...and.. 'Moo'...


A dinosaur in a lovely glass cloche..


lots of those thingy-ma-jigs...for measuring something-or-other...


and a lovely old red vacuum cleaner...no I didn't buy it...


There were lots of interesting bits  'n pieces..


suitcases...gal...in fact the most interesting stuff (other than the French merchandise in the tents) was around the outside, often just plonked on the ground and not necessarily styled or organised like this lot.


I should have grabbed some of these, they were cheap...


One day I'm taking a truck so I can load in some furniture...just dreaming of course...


I really loved this large blue dresser....which minutes after I took this photo blew over with the rest of the furniture stacked beside it....one of the hazards at this type of market...you could end up getting killed by a heavy flying piece of furniture!!

And what did I buy, you may be wondering....here's a little sneak peek...



See you soon..

11 comments:

  1. HI Rob - thanks for dropping by the third - this looks like seventh heaven to me :) those tulips were all at a park in canberra - you remember that place..... where all our income tax gets spent ! best le xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob, looks like you had a busy day at the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic! You'd need major self-control not to buy everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rob! What a cool day out, I spotted a few things there myself. If I'd known you were going I would have asked you to pick up some of that French fabric for me. Oh, well there's always next year. Isn't there? Rob2 x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks amazing! This is why I had hoped that we would have ended up in the UK after our stint in Ireland so I could attend fabulous events like these! Nothing like this in Dubai :(
    Thanks for the thanksgiving wishes! I've always loved that Canadian thanksgiving is in early October instead of late November like American thanksgiving - it gives us a chance to recover from turkey overload before Xmas arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Newark post and you are right, Maud at Beyond France has a great eye for display...love her stuff!
    Thank you for your kind comment too,
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I've been so tempted to visit this fair ever since it featured on Kirstie's Homemade Home - your photos have made me even more determined to get there - travel logistics are meant to be overcome! Am planning on looking at the fair schedule and my diary asap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to spend the day! I could use that spare head for days when I get headaches :-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Robynne, you have transported me back in time. I have been to Newark a few times, even had a stall there once or twice. I am very jealous. All that galvanized stuff that you love, how did you control yourself? Thanks for bringing your camera, you are good! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you took all those photos! Now I feel like I was 'there' in cyberspace at least. I loved the polka dot fabrics the best, and although I often say I could do with an extra head, I might pass on that one:)God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  11. in awe. the French fabrics. the pink fireplace surround! would be incredible to build a room around a piece like this!

    michele

    ReplyDelete