Hi there. Today I am participating in Laura's 'Around the World in a Day' Expat linky party. What a great opportunity to tell my story and also meet other 'Expats' from all over the place, some of which may possibly be living just around the corner...who knows!
I have been living here in England for nearly 20 months with my husband and son, following a company move....and I'm loving it.
Friends and family at home were worried about me, when we first announced the move to chilly ole England, and I'm the first to admit that I hate the cold.
Well, our first winter here was the coldest in 30 years...yikes...but with it came the snow and the village was transformed...
This tree is in the church grounds where I take my walks...
We played in the snow like children and of course the opportunity to experience a Northern Hemisphere Christmas was amazing...so different from Australia's which is in the middle of summer...the food tastes much better in the cold...so I simply ate my way through Christmas!
The change of seasons here is remarkable...and the photo opps plentiful...
Autumn was beautiful, and with so many deciduous trees (not a Gum tree to be found), a colourful change was a sure thing...
The fields turned golden, with the advent of the rapeseed crop...(that's Canola to all the Aussies)...
And I was so surprised to find that the U.K. has some decent beaches...
Along the way I have seen some interesting furry friends including more breeds of sheep than I have ever seen in my life...but you have to admit...this one is very pretty...
I totally didn't expect pets like this in my garden...scurrying around, collecting walnuts and then burying them in the lawn...
Of course my absolute favourite is the Robin....we have been very lucky to have a pair nesting in our garden...they are fascinating to watch...real characters...
England's climate lends itself to flowers and bulbs.... I always have fresh flowers in the house...
London is only a quick train trip away...what a shame...I just have to go in for shopping trips...
but it's also a great city to sight see in...
and there's never a beautiful, quaint cottage far way...
However, as most Expats will probably tell you, their home country is never far from their hearts...and Australia is never far from mine.
To link up with Laura simply click on the button in my side bar and it will take you straight to the party!

I'm possibly relocating to London, and this post has got me very excited about it :) Have a great saturday!
ReplyDeletesigh all the pics are stunning...the robin brought tears to my eyes, I soooo miss the lovely things about the UK
ReplyDelete..but I love this land I have found myself in more
beautiful post
x
Beautiful pictures Robynne! It's got to be hard being away from your other babies! Torn between home and here. Glad you're enjoying your time here. I am! :) Nice to see your blog! I will follow! Hope you will come and see mine! Laura and I are great friends! She had a fun idea here! www.mnukgirl.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteJoAnn
Calling by from the Expat Linky Party, I am an English woman now living in Italy. It is great to meet you virtually, you seem to be enjoying the Uk, despite the cold!
ReplyDeleteCame here from the Linky Expat party. Really lovely photos. I might suspect you of trying to make me homesick. I'm a Brit in America.
ReplyDeleteCame from Laura's linky party as well! I love your positive attitude about the UK. I moved here almost 10 years ago from the USA and lots of people ask why in the world I would do that (I imagine you must get the same?!) but there's so much here to love, the picturesque scenery certainly one of them. Lovely post! x
ReplyDeleteGreat post Robynne! Love your first photo, it's truly beautiful! Have a good Sunday, Maureen
ReplyDeleteHi Robynne - I just love your post - your photos are so lovely. I had no idea rapeseed oil was the same as canola. I've never seen those yellow fields before - I'll keep an eye out. It is so beautiful, quaint, historical, vibrant here :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for joining my Linky Party. It wouldn't have been the same without you! XOL
Hi Robynne, when I lived in Canada I missed Poland. Now, when I am back in Poland, I miss Canada. I guess this is how it is when you spent time longer than a vacation somewhere.
ReplyDeleteI also spent 6 months in Scotland many years ago and I miss that place too, with it's hilly landscape, beautiful lakes, sheep scattered on the slopes by the narrow winding roads and the Scottish accent. Good thing, Scotland is closer now when I am back in Poland so I am hoping to visit one day soon.
Great photos! And I am soooo with you. When we moved to Germany, I was really quite afraid of my first real winter. Brrrr! haha. but I guess it isn't so bad, but then again don't expect it to be my favorite season anytime soon ;) Stopped over from Around the World in a Day hop and really glad I did. Have a great Sunday!
ReplyDeletehttp://texagermanadian.blogspot.com
A great read... Love the UK, I've been there twice and my partners sister lives there permanently but comes home every year. About 80% of the tv shows I watch are Uk shows and love everything about it. Loving the expat party, thanks for joining in and sharing. (we grow canola here in South Australia - very pretty, but smelly!!) Cheers from Oz
ReplyDeleteRebecca x
hi, I came over and found you via the link-up party. It's funny to read an Aussie's impression of the UK! (That sheep is new to me too and I'm from Cumbria/Yorkshire!) The seasons in the UK are quite wonderful and you don't really get that where I am now. I have moved from the UK to Florida, so it's considerabley hotter here and there's all sorts of strange large reptilian life - alligators and snakes, which I'm not used to!
ReplyDeletePaul
http://fromsheeptoalligators.blogspot.com
Glad you're enjoying life here!
ReplyDeleteI now I'm probably (VERY!!!) biassed, being English and all, but I LOVE England!! I love the rolling hills, and the variety, and the prettiness everywhere...and even the weather! I love it that it's so variable but so mild.
ReplyDeleteI'm really glad you've been settling in....
Sarahx
I LOVE England. I have one more UK trip coming up, a long weekend to London with my best friend, and I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteYour life there sounds lovely, always nice to hear an expat sister having a good experience in her host country!