Friday, January 20, 2012

Taking a Punt

Recently we took a trip to Cambridge. Although Paul and I had been before, our son Josh wanted to have a squiz before he left.

This time we decided to hire a punt and look at the town from the river....


We arm wrestled our way to the front of the boat and laid back and enjoyed the view...


The bridges were quite a sight in their idyllic setting...


it's one thing to walk across them, but quite another to float underneath...


gives you a totally different perspective...


you get to see detail, that you otherwise would not notice...


If we thought the bridges were impressive, the colleges were another thing again..


The magnificent Kings College Chapel...bathed in the late afternoon sun.


Very impressive...Kings College








The very symmetrical St. Johns College.





Close up of St. Johns College


If your smart enough, or wealthy enough, the student accommodation on offer can be impressive...(above and below).





Another interesting feature, only seen from the river...


Back on dry land and just enough time for a little window shopping...


In a book shop I found these very unusual works of art...


very cleverly incorporated onto old books.


I particularly like this very unique picture made from old maps...however, it was a little out of my price range at around £1000!


As we left, the Christmas lights were just becoming visible...





Cambridge is well worth a visit...easy to get around...small and compact with a nice vibe. But next time I'm visiting in the Summer when it's not so cold and the trees are green....or perhaps Autumn...can you imagine the scenery on the river with the trees covered in Autumn leaves??

19 comments:

  1. Oh what a treat Robynne! Your photographs are stunning. I have been to Cambridge twice, both were quite a long time ago, but I was very impressed.I love the shot of your feet! It looks like you got a lovely day, albeit a bit cold.

    Many thanks for your visit, so glad you enjoyed the images.Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! This is definitely on my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great day out. I didn't know that these boats are called punts.
    I love the paper cut outs, so intricate, very talented people who make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, lovely photos! I've been to Cambridge and think I liked it better than Oxford - don't tell anyone I said that though, my Oxford friends might stone me for saying such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing and beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some more gorgeous photos Robynne! I've been to Cambridge a few times for work (including one conference which offered lunch in King's College Great Hall which was fabulous)...but after seeing this post, I think another trip that includes punting is now on the agenda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robynne beautiful photographs ... Just dreamy !
    I love the paper artwork too xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! LOVE the paper art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a memorable day for you all. I have to try to make one of these paper art things! So unique! God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful and so serene :) I love the paper artwork too - so much talent out there

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun to view it from the river! It really does give you an entirely different perspective. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not been to Cambridge for years and years and years. Your photos are making me realise that I must go again! In fact, I'm not sure I've been since I was about five and my Dad used to work there - too long!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed every moment of that visit and I stayed warm sitting at my computer admiring your boots:)

    Quite a tale of your computer woes. No you can't afford to lose even one post. These form one fantastic blog.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just noticed you became my newest follower... Thank you! Your blog is absolutely gorgeous and I'm so happy to have found it. I look forward to seeing more! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, look at you gone all British in your Doc's! It's ok. I still have mine from 25 yrs ago - practically new. I know Madam will go through the stage one day so keeping them especially for her, even tho currently she wouldn't be seen dead in them! Little man had some as well our last winter in UK, but he doesn't need them here! See you soon xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really beautiful pictures. This is *exactly* what I hope to get to do very soon! We live pretty close to Cambridge, but in the summer it was so crowded and busy with tourists. Now that the sun's come out to play more often, I think we'll head over!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It does give you such a different perspective on a river. We like to go on ours here in Kansas from time to time either by canoe or kayak. The river is often too low though and we do not have near the view that you had here. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Robynne, thanks for your comments. Well you know what they say..'nothing's new!' I love Martha's jar's too, and probably more practical with the removeable lid! Hope it's not too cold where you are, it's bitter here. It must be coffee time! Lots of love, Linda x

    ReplyDelete