Saturday, September 3, 2011

Petersham Nurseries

I have one more post to do regarding Denmark, which I will do next week as I can't wait to share some photos that I took yesterday at Petersham Nurseries...


I've wanted to visit this nursery for years...back when I lived in Australia I would see articles or products about it in magazines...and never imagined that I would ever get to visit...


From the minute I entered the gate...I was in heaven...


but be warned...I think I have 562 photos...it will be the longest post ever...


The trouble was, every time I turned around there was another amazing display...


There were lots of examples of crusty old furniture, a lot of it French...and as I oohed and aaaghed hubby was breaking into a cold sweat...


This is the desk at the entrance to the Michelin rated cafe..where Skye Gyngell (from Australia) is resident chef.


In fact most of the nursery is devoted to food, with the cafe,  and a tea house, taking up residence in and around old glass green houses...


plus this further little dining nook hidden away down the back...


It all appeared quite primitive in some respects with dirt floors, but combined with the old glass and vintage furniture and props, it was a unique set up...


The tea house is where we had a bite to eat..


inside we selected our lunch and then wandered into one of the many dining spaces...


Looking around there was lovely vintage settings, most of which is for sale...gives a new meaning to 'try before you buy'...in fact I could have selected the chair under a diner...imagine being asked to stand up because somebody had bought the chair literally out from under you...


It was a lovely day...and we wondered around after lunch admiring the creativity evident in all the displays...



Even outside the loo was beautifully decorated with blue hydrangeas...


and inside a lovely French mirror on the wall.


Back inside one of the large greenhouses, we browsed through the displayed merchandise...


Interesting china and French bistro chairs, my heart was palpitating...hubby just rolled his eyes...








I love this Wonki Ware...


I think that will probably do...I may have exaggerated slightly regarding the number of photos...but you get the idea...it's well worth a visit, especially on a glorious summer day...but beware, the parking is a nightmare...get there early before the diners descend....

and I definitely think another visit in Autumn is in order...



10 comments:

  1. Oh wow...what a fabulous place. I love the cupboard with the red interior and the way the old furniture is propped up on blocks.
    Thanks for sharing...
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh such a feast for the eyes. Like you I have read of Petersham Nurseries and have one cookbook, featuring it's recipes.
    Your post is delightful and I will be returning often to feast my eyes on such beauty
    Thank you
    Helenxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That certainly was a feast for the eyes. Looks like you had a great day. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could easily spend a whole day or even a week there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous nursery....if I lived nearby I would be there everyday!! I have a slight obsession for nurseries....it drives my hubby crazy!
    Thank you so much for sharing.....
    Best wishes, Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous place! Will have to visit when we next come over. It is also the cleanest and neatest nursery I have ever seen ;-) Rob2x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine that you didn't know what to look at next! It's definitely a place I would love to see. I wonder how they manage in the restaurant when it rains? Thankyou for taking the photos and letting us have a peek! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to live really near there....and NEVER went. I know, I know...I'm kicking myself now! It's completely gorgeous!!

    You have me drooling AND kicking myself - not a pretty sight!!

    Sarahxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word, I did enjoy that Robynne, this place is certainly on my bucket list :)... loved everything! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something I miss from the UK is Garden Centres like this one, nothing to compare here in our part of Italy, so thoroughly enjoyed the virtual tour.

    ReplyDelete