Saturday, September 10, 2011

Frederiksborg Castle

Just outside of Copenhagen is the magnificent Frederiksborg Castle, which houses Denmark's National History Museum.



The castle was built during the reign of Christian IV between 1588 and 1648, and was restored after a fire in 1859.


The museum was founded by brewer J.C. Jacobsen as part of the Carlsberg Foundation.


It houses important collections of portraits, history paintings and distinguished examples of decorative art.


The exterior of the castle was bedecked with many beautiful carvings...


and intriguing doors...however, once inside we were treated to some truely stunning decorative detail.


A carved scene within The Rose, also called the Knight's Room. The room is a reconstruction of how it looked at the time of Christian IV, when it was used as a dining room for the lords and ladies of the court.


A fine example of a child's gown.


The beautiful Chapel, completed in the 1680's for Christian V.


Gorgeous fine glassware.


One of the smaller reception rooms, resplendent with paintings on the ceilings.


The only way to travel between floors...if you're royalty...I'm positive that the servants would have used the stairways.


This ceiling, outside The Chapel appeared very dramatic with these strange little white carvings hanging from the dark timber panels.


More ceiling detail...


And of course, some fine chandeliers...


The paintings and works of art were beautiful...this one seemed to glow...


Whilst this one was very clever...the beast on the far right with it's head tilted, was painted in such a way that it's head would follow you around the room...so no matter where I stood it appeared to be looking straight at me...


A portrait of a much loved Queen Margarethe


And a very clever representation of our own Princess Mary.


We really enjoyed the little we saw of Denmark...unfortunately we didn't make it into Copenhagen so another trip is definitely in order.

6 comments:

  1. Splendour and grandeur - very impressive. I like the portrait of Princess Mary, it's informal like a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - your photos are absolutely stunning! I can't believe all of that gorgeous detail - it takes my breath away :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So grand in all it's detail! Thank you for the lovely tour :) XOL
    PS: Sadly I didn't go to Lille. We only have one car, so too much strain on the family to take it. Maybe next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, GREAT photos! That chapel is absolutely STUNNING - and what an appropriate name for someone who is having a chapel built for them!!

    I've never been to Denmark - this post puts it right up there on my wish list!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Photos Robynne, I don't think I have seen such fine carving, very lovely.

    Oh dear, I think I would be worried about my Roses over-running if I left them for a while but I have been told never to prune Iceberg as its lax growth is sort after so they may pleasently surprise you :). I too have lost my 'mojo' with blogging lately but try to squeeze a post a week out :).. I'm hoping it will return when the night get short and I have more time xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Robynne, I somehow missed this post. What a wonderful place, and your photos are very fine indeed. Thankyou so much for sharing. Denmark is one of the places I would very much like to visit. Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete