Other than that, we have had a few outings and I have prepared a little glimpse...
Back in June, we visited Scotland for the first time. This is a shot of Edinburgh Castle high up on its perch, overlooking the modern Edinburgh. We were on a guided tour, so we only had a little over an hour to look around the castle...and no time to investigate the old town, with it's very atmospheric environment and its little lanes.
I did, however, find time to feed my face...and had my first taste of haggis...this was a modern take on a very traditional dish, encased in filo pastry with a brandy sauce...it was delicious!
I walked in the footsteps of Mary Queen of Scots at the Palace of Holyroodhouse. After seeing a lot of her history inside the palace I could almost feel her presence in the garden...
Of course I managed some very quick shopping before we left...and no I didn't go wild and buy a pair of these shoes...
Next stop..London...where I did a bit of marching around..
and spinning around in the London Eye...this is a shot of The Shard...London's newest landmark..
With the flags flying...London was getting ready for the upcoming Olympic games.
After all that scampering around, some local sights were in order..and I visited a nearby village to take some shots of lovely summer gardens...
and the prettiest cottages.
At the end of June we had a Jubilee street party...which was a joint celebration with the neighbouring village...
and people went to great lengths, decorating their tables and hanging bunting. Here's the winning table all decked out by Jo from My Vintage Day...this photo does not do it justice...it looked amazing with lots of vintage props, china and bunting.
Some people even dressed up...here's Pete going back to his school days...
whilst this lovely lady, whom I didn't know, happily posed for my photo...looking gorgeous in her vintage outfit.
We had a lovely evening, everybody was very happy and friendly, even though it rained intermittently throughout the entire event...I ended up dancing in the rain to the band (decided that would be my English rock concert experience at the age of 51)...
Next stop..the English Grand Prix...I tried to get a photo of Webber in his Red Bull but as you can see I was a little slow off the mark...unlike him...who very kindly won the race.
Here's a better shot...I had a great day...the noise of the cars passing was fantastic and the atmosphere was great...and it didn't hurt that we had Mumm champagne laid on in the corporate hospitality dining room...
Early July found us lining up along the road to see the Olympic torch arrive in Milton Keynes...it was carried by a lovely young woman named Gail Emms, a 2004 silver medalist in badminton.
After realising that we hardly used our National Trust membership last year, we are endeavouring to visit some properties over the summer..starting with Baddesley Clinton, an interesting 16th century house, home to the Ferrers family for 500 years. It provided sanctuary for persecuted Catholics during the priest hunt in the 1590's.
Another interesting point is that Baddesley Clinton is one of the few properties in England that actually has water in the moat...
The interiors were quite beautiful, with amazing fireplaces and tapestries...
not to mention oak panelling...
and outside...lovely grounds with a well tended garden.
Next stop was Packwood House. Being just up the road, we were able to visit two properties on the same day...this time a 17th century home, renovated in the 1920's and 30's.
Although the interiors were not as stunning as the previous property, I still found some interesting detail like these delft blue tiles in a bathroom...
and a rather regally decorated bed.
But the stand our feature was the unique Yew Garden...
as well as some stunning garden beds.
Finally, I'm just about up to date...there was a Poppy sale in the village hall last week and I had the opportunity to view some gorgeous creations from Poppy Children.
With lovely vintage inspired patterns and border print storybook dresses, they have that very 50's housewife look about them...
Here's my friend Mrs Scoops tidying up the Poppy Children range...very cute creations for the little ones..
Of course I had to have one...my first Poppy dress.. the 1950's inspired Tea Party dress!
I then peered through into the smaller room in the hall to find a lovely lady setting up a vintage afternoon tea...
complete with clever props...
Jo Caldwell is a vintage stylist and extremely talented....
creating cute vignettes in every corner of a usually dull little room...
She has a business called Ruby's Vintage Moments and will hire out her props or even better will style a function or photo shoot for you.
At the gate, Mrs. Scoops' vintage ice cream van.
Finally, some beautiful roses for you Alice, my most avid follower...
just trying to make amends....Robx
et tout ça pour ça? T'as vraiment un problem!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back to the blogworld Rob! Loved your photos of Edinburgh - I lived in Glasgow for a year on my first sojourn to the UK, and loved to get across to Edinburgh whenever I could. And thanks for the timely reminder that I should dust off my NT membership and get out and see some new places!
ReplyDeleteHi Robynne, missed you. You've been busy :-). Lots of great memories for you. Thanks for taking me back to Scotland (I spent 6 months in Scotland, in Edinburgh, many years ago) and love it.
ReplyDeleteSo nice to have you back and with beautiful photos!
ReplyDeletewhat a fabulous summer you are having! omg. such a feast for the senses all your images and wit mixed together all lovely like.
ReplyDeletethat yew garden!
great to hear from you again.
smiles.
michele
Welcome back... No wonder you haven't been blogging you have been so busy! Loved the journey you took me on with all your adventures. Enjoy the rest of the Olympics! xx Kerry
ReplyDeleteLooks like a fantastic trip! I would love to travel that extensively! We just don't here in the US...we tend to take only 1 or 2 weeks.
ReplyDeleteYou've been a busy girl :) Great highlights of the past few months! Now with the Olympics in full swing, the Jubilee seems like a really long time ago - doesn't it? Love those vintage shots and Poppy Mobile! XoL
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely selection of varied photos describing a very interesting summer! I haven't been up to Scotland for a while but your pictures definitely make me want to return!
ReplyDeletehttp://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/
Scotland, how amazing!! What a wonderful trip this looks like. My husband is part Scottish. I enjoyed all the travel pictures, and I especially loved the beautiful roses. Is there anything prettier than a rose? Enjoy the summer days.
ReplyDelete~Sheri at Red Rose Alley
Hello Robyn
ReplyDeleteA beautiful feast for the eyes. I loved the images of Scotland and those beautiful tartan shoes. My first purchase was a pair of high heels in tartan and black patent, when I was sixteen years old. I just loved those shoes
Helen
PS I have you back on my blog roll, which got mixed up H
It looks like you've had an incredible summer! Edinburgh is such a great city! And, wasn't it spectacular to celebrate the Jubilee?!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to meeting you at the blogger's tea on Tuesday!
Becky x