In search of a pretty place to have a late breakfast, we visited the picturesque port of Honfleur. This town is located on the southern estuary of the river Seine, and it's little harbour is home to many little yachts and fishing boats.
Sainte-Catherine's church dating back to the 15th century, is the largest wooden church in France. When we stuck our heads in the door to have a quick look, we noticed a family gathering around a baby that had just been baptized. Imagine being baptized or married in a 500 year old church!
The inhabitants are called 'Honfleurais', and the word 'fleur' means stream, running into the sea.
Many artist including Claude Monet, painted there and the Honfleur School or 'ecole de Honfleur' contributed to the appearance of the impressionist movement.
 |
| Looking across the harbour. |
|
 |
| We had breakfast just there...somewhere. |
|
 |
| Lots of shops and gorgeous buildings. |
|
 |
| Sainte-Catherines - the bell tower at rear. |
|
 |
| Front entrance to Sainte-Catherines. |
|
|
 |
| Old building right on the harbour. | | |
|
Now I can't finish this blog without showing you a purchase I made in a little antique store in Honfleur. I originally entered a larger store full of curiosities and when I enquired about a terrific looking metal crucifix to a very large and scruffy looking Frenchman, it became clear that he didn't have a word of English in his vocabulary (or perhaps it was the Australian accent that threw him). He promptly dragged in another shorter scruffy looking Frenchman who did in fact speak English, but unfortunately he didn't have a clue as to the price of the item, so I left empty handed. However, a little further down the street I found a delightful store which stocked an odd collection of vintage kitchen wares, haberdashery items and all sorts of bits and bobs. I finally spied an old hatbox which was made more interesting because it had a lock with the KEY ATTACHED! So I snatched that up, paid the very nice lady, who kindly threw in a free tape measure that I had been looking at, and I marched out the door, very pleased with myself. I'm sure the crucifix was probably hugely expensive anyway!!!

My new hatbox goes beautifully with my old cases....
Great 'finds'! Normandy is on our list - thank you for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteXO Laura