Wednesday, September 22, 2010

ETCETERA etc.

Today I thought that I would tell you about one of my favourite books, released only this year in the U.K. It's called ETCETERA etc. The author is a well known stylist and now shop owner in Australia named Sibella Court.




This extremely interesting and stimulating book is packed with Sibella's very unique take on decorating. In her own words "this book is about slapdash styling and deconstructed decorating solutions". Its divided into five parts or chapters with titles....'Foundation'...'Indigo Blues'...'Travellers & Magicians'...'Paperwhites' (my favourite) and 'Tradewinds'. These names alone ignite the imagination well before you have had a chance to delve into the book.

 

Gorgeous photography (all taken by Sibella's brother Chris), depicts the various elements and staging, sometimes layered, or seemingly haphazardly placed, but always enticing us to look further into the shot. Every time I look at this book I discover something new that I had overlooked before.




The book has the feel of an old scrapbook full of the ephemera of Sibella's life and travels. Antiques, junk shop finds, collectibles and curiosities make for a stimulating read.



Sibella writes about her life as a bowerbird and how she has translated this into a career as a stylist and shopowner. She opened a store in Sydney called The Society Inc. where she develops four distinct themes or societies each year. If you would like to see some great photos of her home and shop have a peek at designspongeonline where you will wet your appetite for more Sibella!!




ETCETERA etc is available in the U.K. and the U.S. at Anthropolgie stores (what a great excuse to visit) and I think from most book stores in Australia. Don't forget the online stores...I pre-ordered mine from Amazon!


9 comments:

  1. I love this book too - every time I open it I find something new to think about. Bought mine in Anthropologie when I was visiting Austin - love that shop and that city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have a new book on my wish-list - thanks. Also congratulations on your new blog. I've been authoring mine since Easter. I wish I had done BYW at the start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gorgeous books! Thank you so much for sharing! Definately going on my wishlist!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing my favorite design book at the moment. I love it!! I was in Australia in April for a funeral but had a few days to wander around Sydney and actually had an opportunity to meet Sibella at her shop. The shop was not open as she closes for 2-3 months at a time to restyle....what a great job...but she came out and chatted briefly to me and my aunt on the sidewalk....great lady.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool book! Looks like something Anthropologie would carry in their store ;)

    Laura, HappyHomemakerUK.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow. this book looks fascinating. What a great excuse to go to Anthropologie!
    Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    Nancy
    http://ladiesofthegrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES! Great book. I've had a small crush on Sibella for a while. She is very talented. I wrote a blog post on her too a while ago, her book is stacked full of great inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book has my name written all over it. Looks gorgeous - off to order it now! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just flipping thru this book at Anthropology yesterday. What a great book!!

    ReplyDelete