Sunday, November 27, 2011

A Walk around London

Hello everyone, yes I'm back after a short break from blogging and I have lots of photos to share from a couple of recent weekends away...

Last weekend we went to London for four days, primarily to see The Phantom of the Opera with some friends from Europe, and for a change we walked instead of tubing it everywhere. As a result I stumbled past some sights and places that I haven't photographed before....


I'll start with the view from our window at the Hotel Russell. Just opposite Russell Square this grand old hotel is within walking distance of Oxford Street and onwards. The British Museum is right around the corner and Euston Station is just up the road, which meant we could avoid the tube with our luggage (I packed enough for a week)!


On our way we walked down Regent Street which was heaving all weekend, with Christmas shoppers and tourists like us.


We wandered past buildings with a definite French influence...


and came across many iconic sights...


including golden statues which gleamed against the blue sky...London is getting spruced up for the games...


We couldn't have had a better day...especially in November.


Big Ben was looking very handsome with freshly painted golden bits...


But as always, I also find myself taking shots of doors and windows...






This confection was in Queen Anne's Gate and I'm assuming is in the Queen Anne style...




This very special door leads into the Embassy of Chile, which was a lovely surprise as our friend Marco, is Chilean!


Another window with the lot...interesting street sign, old fashioned lamp and a chandelier!!


I always seem to find an interesting red door...


Keep in mind, most of these street names are very old and would have originally reflected the purpose or destination to be found...


Finally, the Union Jack was evident everywhere...


The Cross of St. George, en masse, flying over Admiralty Arch.


Looking up The Mall towards Buckingham Palace, the Union Jack and the flag of Turkey.


Finally  we visited Admiral Nelson atop his column in Trafalgar Square, that is, before we hit the pub...and I have lots of photos of pubs around London.

Later in the week I will post some more photos including a visit into Anthropologie. But for now I will leave you with a new furry friend that I made in Russell Square....


He was a rather finicky eater...I had rustled up some snacks from the bar in the Russell Hotel, but we found he had a preference for the cashews, turning his nose up at the sugar coated peanuts. We decided not to offer him the wasabi peas, although it may have been hilarious to watch his little face after he tried one...

Linking up with Laura from Happy Homemaker UK

16 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I'm LOVING your new banner, it's stunning. Your pics of London are gorgeous and is making me a little homesick. Except for the freezing cold! ;-) The pigeons love old Nelson and his head is always full of bird poo, and I think your new friend is adorable. Are you bringing him in Feb? Will email soon. Nice to have you back! Rob2 x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love your new banner. Thanks for sharing the photos of London - I miss the old town!
    Kylie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robyn,
    As usual you have a feast of gorgeous photos. Love you way you got the red London buses and the black cab in one, and those street signs are so iconic. Hope you'll be posting some pretty shots of Wales soon ( that is if you got there).
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous photos Robynne - I love those of the doors and windows...you've given me a timely reminder that a)I should make sure I routinely carry my camera with me more often, b)look up from the pavements and dodging other commuters to appreciate what is around me, and c)walking in London can be a far more satisfying experience than the tube! Many thanks for sharing.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pics are gorgeous! I often find myself taking pics of doors and windows too. I've been to London a few times and have never actually taken the tube - I always walk everywhere and it's such a beautiful city. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missed you, Robynne. Glad you are back. Beautiful photos - thanks for the tour. I love your new banner. Is it an American scene? Somehow does not look English to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent photos! I'm glad to see London looking so great, I always enjoy my visits there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sky is an impressive blue in your photos, it has certainly been a glorious autumn in Europe this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the door to number 23 is beautiful...how great if that was the entrance to your home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, such gorgeous photos! Thanks for taking us on that little walk...

    ReplyDelete
  11. l Welcome back Rob. Lovely to see the shots of Hotel Russell- a good place to stay to see many of the sights. Your furry friend looked very well fed-sorry he was not keen on your offering. I am looking forward to February and seeing you all. I hope Melbourne can turn on some good weather for you. Love Alice xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was so fun. My favorite is the photo that says 'sanctuary' and the Queen anne doorway with all the white detailed casing. Your blog header is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visiting from POTM Laura's site HH UK.

    Love the photos. I also love taking pics of windows and doors but add lamps and arches too.

    Thanks for sharing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures and what a cute furry new friend you made. Seems everyone is a food snob these days. :-) Popping over from the Happy Homemaker Post of the Month Club.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all your photos - so London. I've never seen Buckingham fly another flag before - I suppose the President was in town? Love that you used the word 'heaving' - one of my newest English words.

    And that banner, Robynne, STUNNING! Is that barn in England? I haven't seen one like that here before. I'm breathless with the contrast and the colors. Thank you for linking to Post Of The Month Club. It's always great to have you there :) XoLaura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful Robynne, I haven't been to London for years, you are making me want to go! I love the chandelier in the window and the wonderful red door with words on. Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete